The death took place last weekend of Hugh Martin.  Hugh and his brother, Frank, who died 8th August 2018, were long time members of the Club.

In 1954 the new dressing rooms and kitchen were constructed, the hall continuing to serve us well for quite a few years.  In the following years, when skilled work such as fixing gutters and general repairs was required, it was invariably done by Hugh.  Others of us did the more menial tasks, quite often “encouraged” by Hugh.

Hugh also designed the club tie, which should be still in the display cases.

Hugh was also involved in re-sodding the baselines.  Raking loose clay through the new baselines, plus rolling them was most important back then, and Hugh played a pivotal role along with the groundsman, who mowed the grass and lined the courts.

Brendan Henderson